Monday, November 28, 2011

Giving Your Best To God

I'm about to get personal here for a moment.  For those that know me personally, you know I'm a Christian, but I mainly use this blog to spout out about the pop cultural things that I enjoy.  So, just indulge me as I have to get a little something off my chest.  As I go through this season of my life, I may get a little more off my chest in these pages in the future as well.


There is a saying, "Do Your Best and Let God Do the Rest."  A lot of people struggle through the storms of life and simple little advice like that is hard to follow.  How can you give God your best when you are constantly having barrels of beetle dung dumped on you in a constant rain of poop.  You find yourself believing that God is turning his back on you and letting you fend for yourself amongst the salivating wolves of the world.  I believe we have all felt this way at one time or another.  Some have felt it earlier in their lives and have now thankfully passed through it and realized it was simply a rough season in an otherwise fine life.  Some have yet to experience the pain.  A lot of us are going through it right now.

For those people, I have no concrete answers.  The only thing I know for certain is that turning from God, if you are a believer, is exactly what Satan wishes of you.  Sometimes I think we are on the verge of doing something awesome with our lives when the rain begins to pour and we tuck our tails between our legs and scurry back into the shadows, which is exactly where our enemy wants us.  Were we on the verge of doing what God wanted us to do for the betterment of our lives?  How can we know when we throw our hands up and say "heck with it"?

Fighting through the crud is hard, make no mistake.  When we decided to follow Christ, we were never promised an easy path.  In fact, I believe our paths get harder, because that is when the enemy is at his most vicious.  To get through these times, it may be prudent to concentrate on the small victories that we often overlook.

Did your car break down and someone let you use a loaner to get you through until you could afford to fix it?  Give thanks to God for that.  Did you get a sizable pay cut at work and had to drop a few things, but you still manage to put food on the table for your family.  Thank God that you aren't starving.

The point is this; we may not enjoy the circumstances we find ourselves in.  Our situation may cause great discomfort or drive us on the brink of depression, but through it all God somehow keeps providing exactly what you need when you need it.  I've found myself in situations such as these more times than I care to think.  There have been times we were worried sick that we would be out on the street because of the shambles life and our own unwise decisions have made of our finances.  Somehow, when things were at their worst, provision was given.

This is why I refuse to give up.  This is why I will continue to at least mount a concerted effort to give my best to God. If I find myself in a job I don't exactly enjoy going to, I will do my best.  My employer is not my real boss, God is.  I will do my best for Him, keeping the faith that being a good servant will allow Him to trust me with the new doors He wants to open for me.

How can I believe this so strongly?  The answer is simple; I've seen the proof.  No matter what I've gone through, I've always eventually made it through to the other side a slightly stronger person than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment