Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Woman Sues the movie "Drive" for it's Misleading Trailers.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/10/11/woman-sues-because-drive-isnt-enough-like-fast-and-the-furious/

Holy wow, we are suing movies now. Okay, technically, I guess she's suing the studio behind the movie, but still. Come on. This is not bordering on ridiculous, it has crossed the border and has pitched a tent and built a campfire in the heart of ridiculous. Sarah Deming felt the trailers for the movie "Drive" built it up to be more of a Fast and Furious type of movie than the more, I guess character study of a stuntman-turned-getaway driver it delivered. I cannot speak personally for this movie, I have yet to see it. The word from critics is good, and that should have been her first clue. Critics don't "love" movies like The Fast and the Furious.



I can understand the disappointment in going to see a movie and it not quite living up to your expectations. Back in '99, there was a little movie called Wild, Wild West (betcha thought I was gonna say The Phantom Menace :), and I was disappointed that the funny, quirky and imaginative sci-fi comedy I thought I was getting was a long, unfunny snore fest full of actors who are above that type of thing. I didn't like it and simply never watched it again. I didn't file a suit against Will Smith for making a crappy movie that didn't live up to my expectations.

LIAR!!


Here's the thing; trailers are not and never have been the greatest representative of what you are going to get on the screen. They are elements put together to get your butt in the seat and hopefully the movie will pull you in and entertain you. If it didn't, that's a chance you took when you punched your ticket. It's job is to get your interest, and I guess the trailer for "Drive" did it's job concerning Sarah Deming.

In this day and age, there are COUNTLESS ways to get info on your upcoming movie releases. People pretty much crap out reviews by the hour on the internet. You can get professional reviews, movie-going public reviews, geek reviews, women reviews, Christian reviews, reviews from every viewpoint you could never dream existed! There are forums, metacritic, rotten tomatoes, websites that tell you what to expect from the movie. I understand that even with all this info, a movie can still surprise you in a negative way. Again, this is the chance you take as a movie-goer. It's the deal you make with any movie; I hope to be entertained, but there's that good chance you will disappoint me.

Speaking for myself on the subject at hand, I don't know a lot about "Drive", but I don't think I thought it was going to even approach Fast and Furious levels of craziness and testosterone infused action. Here's the trailer....



I actually think it looks like a really good movie, but nothing in that trailer suggests it has anything to do with any movie series that is graced by the thespian superstar known as Vin Diesel.

I just don't see the point in suing because you were disappointed in the movie. She's only suing for the price of the ticket, but that's already been reimbursed by the theater. She's simply grandstanding now. Rip it amongst your friends, or start a flame war on the internet, but don't take this highly publicized stand as if this movie personally kidnapped your puppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment